US citizens planning to enter Vietnam are required to have a valid passport and either 1 of these items:
*Please note that Visa on arrival into Vietnam are only issued at airports. Travelers arriving by land or sea need to obtain a visa from any Vietnamese embassy in the country they are visiting from.
For example, travelers planning to enter Vietnam from Thailand may apply for a Vietnamese Visa from the embassy in Thailand OR apply for the visa from the embassy in the US before leaving for the trip.
Obtaining a Vietnamese Visa
Travelers can apply for a visa into Vietnam from any Vietnamese Embassy as early as 6 months from the date of travel. A loose-leaf or paper visa may also be requested as an option.
Here are the steps:
|Valid Passport||Original Photo||Application Form||Payment||Shipping/Postage||Processing Time|
Ensure that passport has at least 6 months validity from the date of embarkation and/or 1 month validity from the last day in Vietnam.
- If applying for a normal Visa: Submit original passport with at least 1 blank visa page.
- For Loose-leaf Visa Application: Submit a copy of passport, with passport details and photo.
Recent photograph of applicant in 2 x 2” format.
- Full color photograph with a plain white background.
- For Visa: 1 copy. (attached to application form)
- For Loose-leaf Visa: 2 copies. (1 attached to form, 2nd stapled)
- Ensure form is fully completed, signed and with photo(s) attached/stapled.
- Form Download (pdf / word format)
- Payment can be made in check or money order to: The Embassy of Vietnam.
- There is usually an application fee on top of the visa fees. (Embassy officials will provide the pricing.)
- Stamp Fees*:
- Single entry visa (1 month / 3 months) - $45
- Multiple entry visa (1 month) - $65
- Multiple entry visa (3 months) - $95
*Note: Fees may differ from embassy to embassy in various countries. Prices listed here are in USD for visa application in embassies located in the US and may be subject to change. Please contact the embassy to confirm the prices.
Step 5 : Shipping/Postage (Optional - For requests by mail)
- Include a prepaid return envelope.
- Applicants are advised to utilize postal service with tracking numbers.
- The same envelope with a single postal address can be used for applicants applying together.
Step 6 : Visa Processing Time
- 5 business days* upon receipt of application.
- 2 days expedited processing at an additional fee.
*Embassies are closed on weekends, Vietnamese and public holidays.
Vietnam Embassies/Consulates in the US.
Embassy of Vietnam in Washington DC., USA
1233, 20th St., NW, Suite 400, Washington DC, 20036, USA
Consulate General of Vietnam in San Francisco, USA
1700 California St., Suite 430 San Francisco, CA 94109, USA
Permanent Mission of Vietnam to the UN
866 UN Plaza, Suite 435, New York, N.Y. 10017, USA
Types of Visa
There are 2 types of visas for the regular traveler in Vietnam: Tourist or Business Visa.
Visa Exemption Document
A Visa Exemption Document can be obtained for the following people who wish to enter Vietnam:
Vietnamese living abroad.
Spouses or children of Vietnamese nationals who are either living abroad or in Vietnam.
Visa Upon Arrival
Please click here to read up on how to obtain Visa Upon Arrival into Vietnam.